Friday, July 5, 2013

A Slice of Humble Pie

Yesterday as I was enjoying a slice of apple pie, I started to think about everything I have to be thankful for! If there were 100 people selected at random from around the world:

Only 5 would speak English.

33 would be Christian

21 would be overweight and 16 would be undernourished or starving

23 would have no place of shelter

22 would have access to a computer, 17 would be illiterate

7 would have a college degree.
Image Source: 
http://www.indexmundi.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/the-world-as-100-people.png

Only 7 would have a college degree. This one really sunk in. I will graduate college in a year and have every intention of attending graduate school the next fall.

Why is it that I have this sense of entitlement or expectation? There are people that probably wouldn't be able to comprehend the idea of this blog, let alone have clean water to drink! I firmly believe it is because of those who have fought to protect what we have. I also believe it is due to my parents that told me I could do anything I wanted (yes even as a child when I thought it would be cool to be a cheerleader)!

So as the summer months get hotter, and we dread the day to day grind, just remember all of those that are far less privileged!

No comments:

Post a Comment